Word File Agreement
For teachers, university students and graduate students of English education, and school owners
At SEG, we offer unique extensive reading classes, and we believe that it is only by actually observing a class that one can understand our approach. We therefore offer class observation opportunities for teachers, university students and graduate students of English education, and school owners.
This opportunity is limited to those who are involved in English education and who have received special permission from us. If you wish to observe one of our classes, please submit a request to us at least two weeks in advance by email (tadoku(at)seg.co.jp) providing the following information:
2) Name of school
4) Home or mobile telephone number
5) Experience with ER（number of years）
6) Age and level of students that you teach
7) Grade level (from 7th to 12th grade) that you are interested in observing
8) ER-related books that you have read
NOTE: Before the observation, please read Extensive Reading in the Second Language Classroom, by Richard Day and Julian Bamford, published by CUP.
9) Preferred date of observation
Rules for observing an ER class at SEG
Please read the following rules carefully in advance. Unlike university or high school classes, our classes are conducted in rather small classrooms. The students are paying specifically for ER classes, and therefore we would like to make sure we create the best environment for the students. We request that you cooperate by observing the rules listed below. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
1. Please arrive at SEG at least ten minutes before the class starts.
2. If you are in a group of three or more people, please arrive at SEG at least 20 minutes before the class starts.
If you come to SEG after the required arrival time, your permission to observe a class is automatically cancelled.
However, you may still be able to visit our library and an ER classroom that is not being used that day (if one is available).
3. Please see http://seg.co.jp/company_info/access/ and if necessary print a copy of the map in advance.
4. Please don’t use your smartphone while observing a class. This means that your phone should be completely out of sight during the whole class.
5. You may use your smartphone only during the break, and only in the corridor outside the classroom.
6. Please observe silently. If you are in a group, please don’t speak to one another while the class is in session.
7. Please don’t take photos or videos.
8. Please don’t enter or leave the classroom while the class is in session.
9. Please don’t speak to the students without permission from the teacher.
10. Please try to sit or stand where you won’t disturb the students or make them feel that they are being watched.
This rule applies both when the students are reading individually and when they are doing a “shadowing” activity.
11. If you want to look at the students’ orange reading record books, please ask the student’s permission first.
Also, if you want to look at the record books, please don’t look at just one student’s book, but try to look at all the students’ record books.
This will avoid putting pressure on a single student or creating feelings of inequality among the students.
12. If you happen to know any students personally, please don’t make contact with them unless their parents have asked you to do so.
13. Please don’t focus your attention on one particular student. If you attend as a group, different members of the group should observe different students.
14. Please don’t ask the teacher any questions in front of the students during the class time or break time. Please ask questions after the class or by email later.
15. Please dress appropriately when observing a class.
Please refrain from wearing perfume or cologne with a strong odor and from wearing shoes that could make noise when you walk.
16. When taking notes, please do it unobtrusively, so that the students won’t feel that they are under pressure.
If you are unable to follow these rules, you may be asked to leave the classroom.
By the day of the observation, you will have to read a printed copy of these rules
and send a signed copy of the agreement to acknowledge that you have understood and intend to follow them.